Sunday 13 May 2012

After a Week, nothing has changed...

Or has it?

Well, firstly, I work as a public servant, and so, on Thursday 10 May, I joined a quarter million of my colleagues in industrial action against an attempt by our government to place an extra tax burden on my shoulders.  I was on a picket line and at one point, we became a mass picket under the terms of Public Order legislation introduced during the rain of the evil one.  Of course, nobody came to arrest us because, for once, the Police were taking part in public demonstrations as well.

The sad thing about it was, the youngest person on the picket line was, as far as I could see, aged about fifty.  I hope this doesn't mean that, when we fade away, nobody will replace us on the picket line.  I hope there are other forms of action that will capture the imagination of the young and they too will take to the barricades as the young are supposed to.  Well, I can dream can't I?

But, I'm not standing for mayor to encourage the young to protest.  That's a separate issue althoguh I have to say, if I become mayor, and I mess up (as any honest politician if such a thing existed will tell you is inevitable) then I hope they'll protest against me and I hope I have the good grace to step down.

As well as striking, this was also the week in which I came close to getting my new band together.  This is an important part of my strategy because any opportunity to gain an audience is something to be embraced, not spurned.  I'll tell you more about the new band when details are firmer, but in any case, rest assured, it's part of the arsenal I will bring to bear in my attempt to take city hall.

And of course, any publicity is good publicity, so, in a shameless attempt to get on TV, I'll be having an audition to get on Mastermind soon.  Wish me luck?

No comments:

Post a Comment