Monday 7 May 2012

So, let's see if I can master paragraphs shall I? With proper paragraphing, I can produce a nice handy list of reasons I want to be mayor of London. It can form the basis of my manifesto.  

Policing

Decisions the police make about what laws to enforce and what not to enforce are political decisions. They can find a half a dozen policemen on overtime to raid a flat in the wee small hours, terrorise children and then produce a warrant under the Misuse of Drugs Act while at the same time they are unable to prevent the same houses getting burgled, nor even provide enough police to damp down the Tottenham riot before it happened, even though not expecting it would show a criminal error of judgement. So, I want to be the one making those decisions, and I want to make sure those decisions are made in the interests of London's working people.  

Public Transport
I live in Tottenham and work in Southwark and overwhelmingly I find myself with the choice of spending more than I can afford on the tube, taking a slow bus journey or even walking to work (which takes three hours) rather than the two on the buses. The buses often wait at stops "to regulate the service", change destination in mid journey, or sometimes simply don't arrive at all. If I am mayor, I will ensure that buses are more predictable and that they are better places to be. As for the tubes... well, I will close the tube network until businesses in central London agree to fund it entirely through a levy. After all, they already avoid paying tax, so they can afford it.  

Culture

London is a vibrant cultural hub, providing spectacle for the whole of the World. Unfortunately, publicity tends to be about the big-ticket events, attractions, or venues . I would like to change that, bringing tourism to the wider range of smaller attractions, events and venues that London offers.

Are we thinking on a similar wavelength? Then follow me. Help me take City Hall in 2016, ready to return London to those who love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment